Is Your Company Ready for NOM-035?
Is Your Company Ready for NOM-035?
In October, NOM-035 entered into effect in Mexico and, starting in 2020, significant penalties will be applied to companies that do not comply with the measurement and prevention of work-related stress.
Is your company ready?
According to in the Official Gazette (Diario Oficial de la Federación), companies must identify and analyze psychosocial risk factors and evaluate the organizational environment.
In the last decade, anxiety, stress and depression have become common conditions for workers in different productive branches.
- Did you know that it is the obligation of all Mexican companies to identify and analyze psychosocial risk factors?
- Learn about NOM-035 in 5 minutes
- Is this problem something new?
- What is my company obligated to?
- Since when is my company obliged to comply with this regulation?
- What happens if my company does not comply with NOM-035?
- Are there tools that can help me identify possible risk elements in my company?
- Ask the right questions to all your team members.
- Clarity Wave is much more than a measurement system!
- In addition to complying with NOM-035, what other benefits does Clarity Wave give me?
- Click here to make an appointment with us right now and start measuring and reducing psychosocial risk factors in your company.
Learn about NOM-035 in 5 minutesPlease see this video (spanish only) to learn about NOM-035.
The Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare (STPS), estimated that "mental and / or emotional disorders represent 11% of the expenditure devoted to the care of occupational disabilities and expects this proportion to increase to 15% in 2020. He also calculated that Psychosocial risks are the cause of between 50% and 60% of lost work days.
It is estimated that approximately 40% of workers suffer from some type of stress related to their work (SOURCE: International Labor Organization)
According to surveys conducted by experts such as Erika Villavicencio Ayub and Gladys Martínez Santiago, academics of the faculties of Psychology (FP) and Medicine (FM) of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), in Mexico, 85% of organizations are toxic, do not have a good work-life balance and do not take proper care of their human talent.
Several studies confirm that 75% of Mexicans suffer from work-related stress and Mexico occupies the first place in this condition, above China with 73% and the United States with 59%.
Is this problem something new?
No, the issue of prevention of psychosocial risks at work is not something new. Here is a brief history and background:
In 1984 the International Labor Organization (ILO) identified that psychosocial factors represent one of the greatest occupational risks, compromising the health of people and the productivity of organizations.
That is why since the publication of the Federal Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (RFSST) in 2014, it was established, in article 43, the obligation to identify, prevent and control these psychosocial risk conditions.
However, it wasn't until 2018 that the technical regulation that establishes the elements to comply with the obligations contained in the RFSST was published and that we now know as the official Mexican standard NOM-035-STPS-2018, which is MANDATORY for all work centers located within Mexican territory.
What is my company obligated to?
This regulation presents us with the multiple obligations with which the work centers must comply, grouping them into 9 different categories:
- Implement policies for the prevention of psychosocial risk factors.
- Establish measures of social support, communication and training for the prevention of psychosocial risks.
- Identify workers who have suffered severe traumatic events such as accidents, assaults, instances of violence, kidnappings, or situations where their life or health is compromised.
- Inform workers about the possible effects on their health derived from psychosocial factors, as well as the policies, prevention and control measures established by the workplace.
- Perform, through surveys of workers, an analysis of the factors that represent psychosocial risks.
- Make a survey of information for the evaluation of the organizational environment, in order to establish if it is favorable to the mental health of workers.
- Establish actions and control measures on the psychosocial risk factors identified in the workplace.
- Practicing medical examinations and psychological evaluations of those workers exposed or who have health effects derived from psychosocial risk factors at work.
- And finally keep a documentary record and collection of evidence in relation to each and every one of the obligations mentioned above.
Since when is my company obliged to comply with this regulation?
The obligations listed from 1 to 4 in the above list will be enforceable as of October 2019 in accordance with the entry into force of a year after the publication of the standard and the obligations considered from 5 to 9 will be As of October 2020.
What happens if my company does not comply with NOM-035?
We must consider that the economic sanctions for breach of this ordinance can reach amounts of the order of $ 422,450.00 MXN (5,000 AMU), around $22,000 USD, as in the case of not informing workers about the alterations to health due to exposure to psychosocial risk factors, fine established in article 117 of the RFSST.
Complying with all the requirements of the Standard is painful and can be very expensive. Changing a culture is not always easy, but in order to succeed in doing so, it is important to have high impact tools that are efficient and do not take away much of our valuable time.
Are there tools that can help me identify possible risk elements in my company?
Clarity Wave is a complete system that will help you solve your work-related stress problems from the root. With our new platform, your company will develop a new culture and business climate that will transform the way you think and act in your organization.
With Clarity Wave, companies of all sizes, industries and demographic compositions easily identify the elements of psychosocial risks that are often not immediately apparent.
With powerful weekly micro surveys we analyze more than 70 information data in different metrics such as:
- Life balance
- Learning and development
- Social connection
- Feedback and recognition
- ...among other
Ask the right questions to all your team members.
Clarity Wave asks specific questions to measure hidden risks before they become a major problem. Some examples of these are:
- This is a physically safe place to work.
- This is a psychological and emotionally healthy place to work.
- How much emotional support do you feel from your classmates?
- Here they give me the opportunity to take time for when I need it
- I feel that much of the time I spend at work I enjoy what I do
- I feel normally happy with my life
- Our facilities contribute to a good work environment
- The promotions here go to the people who deserve them the most
- People here are treated fairly regardless of their beliefs.
Clarity Wave is much more than a measurement system!
Our system not only gives you the necessary tools to comply with the NOM-035-STPS-2018 but will help your company substantially improve the workplace climate.
Clarity Wave is designed as a gamified platform that incorporates game elements to foster a culture of continuous improvement, feedback and recognition.
- Recognition among team members through Stickers, Badges and Virtual Trophies.
- A Prize Store where employees can redeem the points they earn for answering the surveys.
- Individual Scores. In addition to the questions that the system asks about the company, employees also answer questions about their peers, bosses and subordinates, giving them information about themselves that they had never seen before.
- 100% Spanish-language system with mobile and desktop access.
In addition to complying with NOM-035, what other benefits does Clarity Wave give me?
According to the renowned Gallup study, "State of the American Workplace" the benefits of having a highly engaged workforce are:
- 20% increase in sales
- 21% increase in profitability
- 17% increase in employee productivity
- 10% increase in customer indicators
- 40% fewer defects
- 41% less absenteeism
- 24% less turnover (in B2C companies)
- 59% less turnover (in B2B companies)
- 28% less contraction
- 70% fewer accidents at work
Clarity Wave is the solution to eradicate stress in your company.